Tarasov Sergey Sergeevich, Senior lecturer, sub-department of botany, physiology and plant protection, Nizhny Novgorod State Agricultural Academy (97 Gagarin avenue, Nizhny Novgorod, Russia), E-mail: Tarasov_ss@mail.ru
Veselov Aleksandr Pavlovich, Doctor of biological sciences, professor, sub-department of biochemistry and biotechnology, Lobachevsky State University of Nizhny Novgorod (23 Gagarin avenue, Nizhny Novgorod, Russia), E-mail: email@example.com
Background. The development of new environmentally friendly methods of seed treatment is an important strategic area of modern agricultural technology. Ultrasound is one of the promising factors that can be used to treat seeds. The aim of the work was to study the effect of different duration of ultrasound on the morphometric and physiological parameters of seed germination of pea seed (Pisum sativum L.).
Materials and methods. As the object of the study used the seeds of peas varieties “Albumen” 2017 collection. Seeds were placed in glass flasks, poured with water and lowered into an UNITRA–UNIMA ultrasonic washer PA–4. Processing was carried out for 5, 10 and 20 minutes, the seeds were soaked but not treated with ultrasound. Upon termination in the seeds, the catalase activity was determined by the gasometric method, colorimetric peroxidase (according to Boyarsky), respiration intensity by the level of absorbed CO2Ba(OH)2 in a closed vessel (Boysen – Jensen), germination rate, length of roots, shoots, their mass in accordance with
Results. The experiment showed the relationship between the parameters studied and the action of ultrasound. So, when treating seeds with ultrasound at the swelling stage (soaked before processing), the respiration rate was statistically significantly increased relative to the control, and at the germination stage, i.e. soaked for 24 hours, and after treated with ultrasound, a decrease in the intensity of respiration is observed. The activity of peroxidases in seeds treated at the stage of swelling increases, at the stage of germination decreases, the activity of catalase increases with 10 and 20 minutes of exposure and decreases with 5 minutes of action. In seeds treated at the swelling stage, it increases at 20 minutes, is inhibited at 5 and 10 minutes, at the germination stage it decreases steadily, depending on the processing time. Studies of seedling morphometry showed an increase in the rate of germination, an increase in the length of the roots and shoots of seeds treated with ultrasound for 10 minutes at the stage of swelling and 5 minutes at the stage of germination.
Conclusions. The stimulating effect of ultrasonic treatment for 10 minutes on seeds at the stage of swelling and for 5 minutes at the stage of germination has been established; the tendency of the studied parameters to control values is fixed. The long-term effect shows an increase in catabolism at the stage of swelling and their inhibition at the stage of germination.
1. Vasin V. G., El'chaninova N. N., Vasin A. V., Aleksandrov Yu. A. Izvestiya Orenburgskogo gosudarstvennogo agrarnogo universiteta [Proceedings of Orenburg State Agrarian University]. 2008, no. 1 (17), pp. 26–29.
2. Vasin A. V. Izvestiya Samarskoy gosudarstvennoy sel'skokhozyaystvennoy akademii [Proceedings of Samara State Agricultural Academy]. 2014, no. 4, pp. 15–19.
3. Mikhalev E. V., Krivenkov V. A., Ivanov V. V. Vozdelyvanie gorokha [Pea cultivation]. Nizhniy Novgorod: NGSKhA, 2017, 192 p.
4. Eryashev A. P., Kamalikhin V. E., Moiseev A. A. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2017, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 722–727.
5. Kubeev E. I. Povyshenie effektivnosti tekhnologicheskogo protsessa predposevnoy obrabotki semyan sel'skokhozyaystvennykh kul'tur za schet sovershenstvovaniya metodov i tekhnicheskikh sredstv naneseniya iskusstvennykh obolochek: avtoref. dis. d-ra tekhn. nauk: 05.20.01 [Increasing the efficiency of crop seeds technological processing by improving methods and technical means of artificial casing: author’s abstract of dissertation to apply for the degree of the doctor of of engineering sciences]. Saint-Petersburg, 2015, 38 p.
6. Patterson B. D., Paune L. A., Yi-Zhu Chen, Graham P. Plant Physiology. 1984, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 1014–1018.
7. Flexas Jaume, Email Jeroni, Galmes Miquel Ribas-Carbo Hipólito Medrano. Plant Respiration. 2005, pp. 85–94.
8. Cheeseman J. M. Hydrogen Peroxide and Plant Stress: A Challenging Relationship Plant Stress. 2007, no. 1 (1), pp. 4–15.
9. Rubtsova M. S. Praktikum po fiziologii rasteniy [Plant physiology laboratory work]. Nizhniy Novgorod: Izd-vo NGSKhA, 2003, 127 p.
10. Ermakov A. I. Metody biokhimicheskogo issledovaniya rasteniy [Methods of biochemical study of plants]. 2nd ed., rev. and suppl. Leningrad: Kolos, 1972, 456 p.
11. Voskresenskaya O. L., Grosheva N. P., Skochilova E. A. Fiziologiya rasteniy: ucheb. posobie [Plant physiology: teaching aid]. Mari State University. Yoshkar-Ola, 2008, 148 p.
12. Glants S. Mediko-biologicheskaya statistika [Biomedical statistics]. Moscow: Praktika, 1999, 459 p.
13. Scandalios J. G., Guan L., Polidoros A. N. Oxidative Stress and the Molecular Biology of Antioxidant Defenses. New York: Cold Spring: Harbor Laboratory Press, 1996, pp. 343–406.
14. Arabaci G. Journal of Biology & Life Sciences. 2011, no. 2 (1), pp. 11–15.
15. Sharma P., Jha A. B., Dubey R. S., Pessarakli M. Journal of Botany. 2012, 26 p. DOI 10.1155/2012/217037.
16. Harrison S. J., Curtis M. D., McIntyre C. L., Maclean D. J., Manners J. M. Mol Plant-Microbe Interact. 1995, no. 8, pp. 398–406.
17. Pandey V. P., Awasthi M., Singh S., Tiwari S., Dwivedi U. N. Biochem. Anal. Biochem. 2017, vol. 6. DOI 10.4172/2161-1009.1000308.